Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Ragging Act, 1997
The following Act of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly received the assent of the Governor on the 14th February 1997 and is hereby published for general information.
Excerpts form Act No.7 of 1997
- An Act to prohibit ragging in educational institutions in the State of Tamil Nadu.
- Be it enacted by the Legislative Assembly of the State of Tamil Nadu in the Forty eighth year of Republic India as follows:
1. Short title, extend commencement
- This Act may be called the Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Ragging Act, 1997.
- It extends to the whole of the state of Tamil Nadu.
- It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 19th day of December 1996.
In this Act unless the context otherwise requires, "ragging" means display of noisy, disorderly conduct doing any act which causes or is likely to cause physical or psychological harm or raise apprehension or fear or shame or embarrassment to a student in any educational institution and includes.
- Teasing, abusing of playing practical jokes on, or causing hurt to such student or
- Asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course willingly do.
3. Prohibition of ragging
- Ragging within or without any educational institution is prohibited.
4. Penalty of ragging
- Whoever directly or indirectly commits, participates in, abets or propagates "ragging" within or without any educational institution, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years and shall also be liable to a fine which may extend to ten thousand rupees.
5. Dismissal of Student
- Any student convicted of an offence under section 4 shall be dismissed from the educational institution and such student shall not be admitted in any other educational institution.
6. Suspension of student
- Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions, whenever any student complains of ragging to the Head of an Educational Institution, or to any other person responsible for he management of the educational institution he / she shall inquire into the same mmediately and if found true shall suspend the student, who has committed the offence, rom the educational institution.
- The decision of the Head of the Educational institution or the person responsible for the management of the Educational Institution that any student has indulged in ragging nder sub-section (1) shall be final.
7. Deemed abetment
- If the head of the educational institution or the person responsible for the management of the educational institution fails or neglects to take action in the manner specified in subsection (1) of section 6 when a complaint or ragging is made, such person shall bedeemed to have abetted the offence of ragging and shall be punished as provided for in Section 4.
ANTI RAGGING COMMITTEE
ANTI RAGGING SQUAD
For All Parents/Guardians
Anti-Ragging Affidavit (Mandatory for all Students)